Saturday, September 20, 2008

Five

Lab called this morning around 9:30 (and see how fast I am posting the results, I am such a conscientious blogger). Seems like they called earlier the last few times around, but back then we didn't have a baby who gets up at 7:00, so 9:30 probably just seemed a lot earlier back then.

Out of the seven eggs collected, five were mature and all five fertilized and are at 2pn, right where they should be. A nurse called, not the embryologist, and she was pretty much just reading from a report so she couldn't answer my questions, the primary one being whether or not we are still candidates for PGD, because I know they really like to have higher numbers before they send them out. It may depend on how the embryos look on day 3 (Monday). I also want to know if the two that couldn't be fertilized were over or under mature and also what was up with the lower-than-expected egg yield. I am sure the response will include the words diminished reserve somewhere, but if you know me, you know I like to ask questions.

I have mixed feelings about the five. Even though it does no good to compare to prior cycles, I can't help but do it. This was actually the fewest eggs I have gotten during a retrieval. It was the second fewest amount of mature eggs, and now it is the third fewest (or second largest) number of eggs that fertilized. The cycle is improving with each step. So, while it started off disappointing, I am really liking this trend and hopefully it will continue and by day 5 I will have the most healthy blastocysts of any prior cycle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I am not as concientious a reader as you are a blogger (I'm so upset this comment stuff doesn't have spell check right now!) but yay for 5! So now we just wait to see which ones divide at a good rate? Am I an unfit reader for asking what PGD is?